Transition with Purpose: Pathways from English Language to Academic Study
Michele Miller, Portland State University
Anne Greenhoe, Portland State University
Copyright Year: 2018
Publisher: Portland State University Library
Conditions of Use
Table of Contents
Part One: Program and University policies and Procedures
- Overview of Pathways Program
- Academic Standing
- Calculating Grade Point Average (GPA)
- University Structure
- Admission Type and Class Standing
- Degree Requirements
- Academic Advising
- Choosing Your First Academic Classes
- Code of Student Conduct and Responsibility
- Getting Involved
- Preparing for Your Next Term of Study
- Managing Your Time with Google Calendar
- Tuition Differential: IELP and PSU classes
- PSU New Student Orientation
- Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)
Part Two: Transition with Purpose to the University
- Section 1: Preparation of Goals
- Section 2: Getting Involved in the University
- Section 3: Collaborative Learning Support Activities
- Section 4: Writing Your ePortfolio
About the Book
This Open Access Textbook will guide students through their English language to academic degree studies.
Part one of this textbook is a guide for moving from ESL study to academic study at Portland State University. It includes the resources students will use to understand policies and processes governing their degree study and their transition to academic coursework.
Part two focuses on how academic skills are used across various disciplines and is comprised of activities and assignments designed to practice these skills.
Key elements include culture and expectations in an American university, transferring academic skills from ESL to content-specific academic courses, and helpful exercises to be academically successful.