From Growing to Biology: Plants 1e
Gokhan Hacisalihoglu, Florida A&M University
Copyright Year: 2021
ISBN 13: 9781736577912
Publisher: Florida State University
Conditions of Use
It is a comprehensive text but may even be too broad in its scope. Author should narrow focus. read more
It is a comprehensive text but may even be too broad in its scope. Author should narrow focus.
Content is accurate but superficial at times. The Genetics chapter is too basic.
It is relevant.
It is not completely clear since it is written in scanty language. It appears more as a dictionary or encyclopedia of knowledge. Lacks well developed paragraphs. Only provides broad overview. Appears as an outline for a textbook.
Style is consistent. Chapter headings, info presented with quizzes and answers at end.
Sectioned off very well and chapters can be selected for presentation.
Very good organization and structure.
I wish diagrams were clearer. Color phototgraphs would have been better than the diagrams presented.
There are no grammatical errors. The word “with” should not be abbreviated with a “w”. There should be a w/ instead used here.
- It is an inclusive book and I found it culturally relevant. Good section on world issues such as the pandemic.
It is a good basis for a book. Looks more like an encyclopadia or dictionary with quizzes on subject matter. Information is outlined but not written in well developed paragraphs.
Table of Contents
- CHAPTER 01. PLANTAE KINGDOM
- CHAPTER 02. PLANT CELLS AND TISSUES
- CHAPTER 03. ROOT SYSTEM
- CHAPTER 04. SHOOT SYSTEM
- CHAPTER 05. SYSTEMATICS
- CHAPTER 06. ALGAE (PROTISTA PHYLUM)
- CHAPTER 07. BRYOPHYTES
- CHAPTER 08. SEEDLESS PLANTS (FERNS AND FERN RELATIVES)
- CHAPTER 09. GYMNOSPERMS (CONE BEARING)
- CHAPTER 10. FLOWERS, FRUITS, AND SEEDS (FLOWERING ANGIOSPERMS)
- CHAPTER 11. PLANT HORMONES
- CHAPTER 12. GENETICS
- CHAPTER 13. PLANT NUTRITION
- CHAPTER 14. WATER AND SOLUTE TRANSPORT
- CHAPTER 15. SECONDARY GROWTH
- CHAPTER 16. PHOTOSYNTHESIS (PS)
- CHAPTER 17. CELLULAR RESPIRATION
- CHAPTER 18. INDOOR VERTICAL FARMING AND CULTIVATING PLANTS IN MICROGRAVITY
- CHAPTER 19. HUMAN NUTRITION FROM PLANTS AND PLANT-BASED PROTEINS
- CHAPTER 20. SEED GERMINATION AND SEEDLING ESTABLISHMMENT
- CHAPTER 21. TEA GROWING, BREW, AND LEAVES
- CHAPTER 22. COFFEE GROWING, ROAST, GRIND, AND BEANS
- CHAPTER 23. SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE AND FOOD SYSTEMS
- CHAPTER 24. SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY AND CRISPR GENE EDITING IN CROPS
- CHAPTER 25. MINING PLANT SUPERB VARIETIES FOR INCREASED RESILIENCE TO SUBOPTIMAL CONDITIONS
- CHAPTER 26. FUNGI KINGDOM
- CHAPTER 27. CYANOBACTERIA AND VIRUSES (COVID-19 PANDEMIC EDITION)
- CHAPTER 28. GROWTH MINDSET AND GRIT
- CHAPTER 29. STUDENT LEARNING
- CHAPTER 30. HOW TO STUDY STEM (SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING AND MATH)
About the Book
Ready to find out how plants are grown and function? Take a fantastic voyage through plants. From Growing to Biology: Plants 1e brings the latest information for understanding of traditional and modern plant growing, form, and production. Topics covered in 30 chapters include concise and up-to-date ‘big picture’ infographics, student learning outcomes (SLOs), key vocabulary, assessment, as well as identification of 120 species, and more. Moreover, author Dr. G. Hacisalihoglu emphasizes on leaning concepts, binding those concepts together with visuals approach to make learning faster and more memorable.
From Growing to Biology: Plants 1e is packed full of horticultural information that is ideal for both academia and industry growers. It is basic enough that if you are just getting started learning plants, you will be able to catch up. Always remember that practice makes permanent and keep going to take your learning plant bio to new levels.
About the Contributors
Dr. Gokhan Hacisalihoglu is a Professor of Biological Sciences at Florida A&M University. He earned his Ph.D. in plant biology from Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. He has several years of experience teaching a variety of university courses from first year General Biology to Plant Anatomy & Development, and Scientist Life Skills. He won many teaching and research awards including FAMU Teaching Innovation Award, FAMU Advanced Teacher of the Year Award, FAMU Teacher of the Year Award, FAMU Research Excellent Award, and Best Professor of the Arts & Sciences. He is a member of the American Society of Plant Biologists. He was a visiting fellow at Michigan State University, Florida State University, Cornell University, and University of Florida. He has received a Fulbright Specialist Award to Japan as an expert consultant in Plant Biology. Throughout his scientific career, Dr. Hacisalihoglu has had the opportunity to mentor and direct a diverse group of undergrad and grad students. Dr. Hacisalihoglu looks forward to developing new collaborations.