Dredging Engineering: Special Topics
Sape A. Miedema
Copyright Year: 2019
Publisher: TU Delft Open
Conditions of Use
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: The Terminal Settling Velocity of Particles
- Chapter 2: Steady Uniform Flow in Open Channels
- Chapter 3: Constructing the Shields Curve, Part A
- Chapter 4: Constructing the Shields Curve, Part B
- Chapter 5: Constructing the Shields Curve, Part C
- Chapter 6: Hydraulic Transport of Sand/Shell Mixtures in Relation with the LDV
- Chapter 7: Cutter Head Spillage
- Chapter 8: The Pump/Pipeline System
- Chapter 9: Modeling of the Swing Winches of a Cutter Dredge
- Chapter 10: The Trailing Suction Hopper Dredge
- Chapter 11: Production Estimation of Water Jets and Cutting Blades in Drag Heads
- Chapter 12: The Closing Process of Clamshell Dredges in Water-Satured Sand
- Chapter 13: Notes
- Chapter 14: References
- Chapter 15: List of Figures
- Chapter 16: List of Tables
About the Book
In dredging, production estimating is carried out mainly with analytical physical models of the different dredging processes.
Slurry transport of settling slurries and cutting processes in sand, clay and rock are already covered in two other books by the author.
Other processes like hopper sedimentation and erosion, water jet fluidization, cutter head spillage, pump/pipeline dynamics and clamshell dredging are covered in this Special Topics Edition.
New topics may be added in the near future
About the Contributors
Dr.ir. S.A. Miedema teaches (or has taught) courses on soil mechanics and soil cutting, pumps and slurry transport, hopper sedimentation and erosion, mechatronics, applied thermodynamics related to energy, drive system design principles, mooring systems, hydromechanics and mathematics. He is (or has been) also teaching at Hohai University, Changzhou, China, at Cantho University, Cantho Vietnam, at Petrovietnam University, Baria, Vietnam and different dredging companies in the Netherlands and the USA. His research focuses on the mathematical modeling of dredging systems like, cutter suction dredges, hopper dredges, clamshell dredges, backhoe dredges and trenchers. The fundamental part of the research focuses on the cutting processes of sand, clay and rock, sedimentation processes in Trailing Suction Hopper Dredges and the associated erosion processes. Lately the research focuses on hyperbaric rock cutting in relation with deep sea mining and on hydraulic transport of solids/liquid settling slurries.