Education Library - Conference Room D
Date and Time:
Wednesday, May 15th, 2019
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Help Lower Textbook Costs for Students
Are you an instructor who is concerned about the impact of high textbook costs on your students? Explore possible open textbook solutions by attending an hour long workshop and writing a short textbook review. Receive $200 incidental pay for your efforts!
Did You Know...
- The high cost of some course materials can impede students’ academic success.
- The College Board estimates that the average undergraduate can budget $1,220 - $1,420 for textbooks and supplies in 2017–18.
- The cost of textbooks is rising at a rate of 4 times inflation.
- Seven out of 10 students do not purchase a required textbook during their academic career because of cost.
- 60% of students have delayed purchasing textbooks until they’ve received their financial aid.
Open textbooks can help alleviate the burden of textbook costs for students and provide faculty with content that can be customized for their course. Open textbooks are full, real textbooks, used by many faculty across the country, and licensed to be freely used, edited, and distributed.
What You Can Do
Attend the Open Textbook Workshop — an hour session where you can discover open textbooks in your field. After the workshop, you will be asked to write a short review of an open textbook from the Open Textbook Library. Your review will benefit other faculty considering open textbooks.