https://webmeeting.minnstate.edu/otnwebinar | For the best audio experience, use a microphone/headset connected to your computer. | To join by phone, call toll free 1-855-369-0450 and use the participant pin code: 12441537.
Date and Time:
Monday, May 20th, 2019
2:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Help Lower Textbook Costs for Students
Are you an instructor who is concerned about the impact of high textbook costs on your students? Explore possible open textbook solutions by attending a two hour workshop and writing a short textbook review. Minnesota State faculty can receive a $200 stipend for their efforts!
Did You Know...
- The high cost of some course materials can impede students’ academic success.
- The College Board estimates that the average undergraduate can budget $1,220 - $1,420 for textbooks and supplies in 2017–18.
- The cost of textbooks is rising at a rate of 4 times inflation.
- Seven out of 10 students don’t purchase a required textbook during their academic career because of cost.
- 60% of students have delayed purchasing textbooks until they’ve received their financial aid.
Open textbooks can help alleviate the burden of textbook costs for students and provide faculty with content that can be customized for their course. Open textbooks are full, real textbooks, used by many faculty across the country, and licensed to be freely used, edited, and distributed.
What You Can Do
Attend the Open Textbook Network Webinar — a 90-minute session where you can discover open textbooks in your field. After the workshop, you’ll be asked to write a short review of an open textbook from the Open Textbook Library. Your review will benefit other faculty considering open textbooks. Minnesota State faculty can receive a $200 stipend for your participation and written review.